SWELLSEAL® Mastic WA
Caulk-applied, one-component, hydro-swelling mastic for sealing smooth and rough construction joints and pipe penetrations in wet or underwater applications
SWELLSEAL® Mastic WA is a one-component, grey, polyurethane-based, elastic, hydro-swelling mastic, supplied in cartridges and aluminium sausages, for the sealing of expansion joints and around pipe penetrations.
Swellseal Mastic WA cures and swells in the presence of moisture. Curing time is dependent on temperature and humidity conditions, i.e. curing time will reduce if RH and Celsius degrees are higher. Swellseal Mastic WA will become firm in 24-36 hours. Performance is not affected by the curing time.
- Due to its special formulation, SWELLSEAL® Mastic WA can be applied onto wet surfaces or in underwater applications.
- Solvent free.
- Swellseal Mastic WA adheres to concrete, PVC, HDPE, steel, fibre glass, etc.
- The excellent filling and adhesion properties of the product provide a first line filling of cracks and voids, even on lightly humid, smooth or rough surfaces.
- In contact with water Swellseal Mastic WA will expand to about 200% of it’s original volume.
- Flexible system, which adapts to the irregular surface of the substrate.
- Easy application with a standard caulking gun.
- Durable: will exceed the construction’s life.
- Good chemical resistance(*).
- Resistant against petroleum products, mineral and vegetable oils and greases.
(*) For chemical resistance please contact your local GCP representative.
Field of Application
- Sealing of joints of in-situ cast concrete in wet and underwater applications.
- Sealing joints between precast segments in wet or underwater applications (e.g. manholes, box culverts, cable ducts and pipes).
- Sealing of the locks between sheet piles.
- (*) For chemical resistance please contact your local GCP representative.
Swellseal Mastic WA is preferably applied onto a dust-free concrete surface. The surface can be rough or smooth, moist or dry.
When applying Swellseal Mastic WA in underwater or very wet applications, be certain to cast the concrete within 6 hours to prevent premature swelling.
1. Application Method
For 310cc Cartridges
- Break the moisture-proofing aluminium foil on the top of the cartridge and remove the seamer from the bottom. Screw on the nozzle and cut diagonally at the appropriate position. Place the cartridge into caulking gun. For 600cc Sausages
For 600cc Sausages
- Put the sausage in the empty tube of the caulking gun and cut 1cm off the top of the sausage. Close the tube and install the nozzle. Cut the nozzles diagonally at the appropriate position.
- Swellseal Mastic WA is applied in an uninterrupted band (minimum 10mm wide and high), placed with a caulking gun in the middle of the joint or prefab element (minimum concrete cover is 7cm).
- In case of fresh concrete, Swellseal Mastic WA should be covered by at least 7cm of concrete on both sides, in order to avoid cracks from the expansion pressure of swelling Swellseal Mastic WA.
Pasty during application and rubbery after curing. Colour: grey.
Technical Data / Properties
|Viscosity||Gel / Paste||Test DNC|
|Density (at 20ºC)||Approx. 1.45kg / dm3||DIN 53504|
|Slump in Vertical Application||< 5mm||Boeing test|
|Hand Dry (at 20ºC and 60% rel. humidity)||10h||Test DNC|
|Flash Point||> 130ºC||Pensky-Martens method|
|Cured (7 days at 25ºC, 10mm thick)|
|Swelling Capacity in Contact with Water||Swells to approx. 200% of its original dry volume||Test DNC|
|Nozzle Diameter||Length (Cartridge)||Length (Sausage)|
|3mm||20 - 25m||40 - 50m|
|6mm||8 - 10m||16 - 20m|
|8mm||4 - 5m||8 - 10m|
|10mm||Approx. 3m||Approx. 6m|
|310ml Cartridges||600ml Sausages|
|12 per cardboard box||12 per cardboard box|
|1 pallet = 75 cardboard boxes||1 pallet = 40 cardboard boxes|
Weight per cartridge
Weight per sausage
Minimum 12 months in a dry place at temperatures between 5°C and 30°C.
See shelf life information on the packaging.
- Skeleton caulking gun for cartridges 310mL.
- Caulking gun for sausages 600mL closed tube.
- Nozzle for caulking gun 600mm closed tube.
To be ordered separately
Health & Safety
For full information consult the relevant Material Safety Data Sheet.
th.gcpat.com | Thailand customer service: 66 2 030 9700
We hope the information here will be helpful. It is based on data and knowledge considered to be true and accurate, and is offered for consideration, investigation and verification by the user, but we do not warrant the results to be obtained. Please read all statements, recommendations, and suggestions in conjunction with our conditions of sale, which apply to all goods supplied by us. No statement, recommendation, or suggestion is intended for any use that would infringe any patent, copyright, or other third party right.
Swellseal is a trademark, which may be registered in the United States and/or other countries, of GCP Applied Technologies, Inc. This trademark list has been compiled using available published information as of the publication date and may not accurately reflect current trademark ownership or status.
© Copyright 2017 GCP Applied Technologies, Inc. All rights reserved.
GCP Applied Technologies Inc., 2325 Lakeview Parkway, Alpharetta, GA 30009, USA
GCP Applied Technologies Holdings (Thailand) Limited., 848 Moo 2, Bangpoo Industrial Estate (North), Phraksa Mai, Muang Samutprakarn, Samutprakarn 10280, Thailand
This document is only current as of the last updated date stated below and is valid only for use in Thailand. It is important that you always refer to the currently available information at the URL below to provide the most current product information at the time of use. Additional literature such as Contractor Manuals, Technical Bulletins, Detail Drawings and detailing recommendations and other relevant documents are also available on www.th.gcpat.com. Information found on other websites must not be relied upon, as they may not be up-to-date or applicable to the conditions in your location and we do not accept any responsibility for their content. If there are any conflicts or if you need more information, please contact GCP Customer Service.
Last Updated: 2022-10-07